Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Digital Footprint

A digital footprint is the "footprint" that you leave behind on the Internet.  You leave a "footprint" on the Internet through e-mails, videos, Facebook posts, tweets, etc.  It shows information about yourself. Basically, almost anything you do on the Internet that people can view later is your digital footprint.  Having a positive footprint is very important.  It can be the deciding factor of you landing a job or career or getting into college.  A positive digital footprint is a digital footprint that shows information about yourself in a positive way.  When people google your name, stuff like blogs, books, etc. should show up, not pictures about last weekend's party and other shenanigans.  

I can improve my digital footprint by becoming more active online.  When I search up my name, I don't find myself at all.  I can begin to blog, maybe start a YouTube channel, and maybe create my own website to improve my digital footprint.  Online, it does mater who you associate with.  You can't just randomly friend every person you find without knowing a little bit about them.  That person can be a criminal for all you know.  If you are friends with a criminal on the Internet, it can lead colleges into believing that you too, are a bad person.  Employers may also deny you of a job because of your criminal friend that you may or may not know is a criminal.  Everything you do on the Internet can be viewed by others in the future, which is why information that you leave behind from your actions on the Internet is called a digital footprint.  


New Vocabulary Words:
1. Digital footprint - Basically the information about yourself that you leave behind from your actions on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment